A Not So Tiring Trek To Vasudhara Waterfall



Day: 15th November Wednesday
Time: 7:30 AM 

It was a beautiful Wednesday Morning when I decided to reach India's last village 'Mana' from Badrinath as early as I could. The reason was to reach Vasudhara Waterfall early morning to watch all the peaks visible from there and descend and reach my next destination within afternoon. Everything was planned; accordingly, I did pack my bags last night to save time. The temperature was almost below 0 degree Celsius when I stepped out of my hotel room and sat in the car which took me to Mana village. Distance from Badrinath To Mana is only 4.4 Kilometers, and it takes a mere 10-20 Minutes to reach the destination.

You will be greeted with a big sign which says "Welcome India's last village- Mana" as soon as you enter the place. This particular area shares its border with Tibet. The small village of Mana has few shops and a canteen where you can finish your breakfast if you reached the spot a little too early from Badrinath but remember there are only few option available.

As I started my trek towards Vasudhara Waterfall, I was quite happy to see that the roads were clear and it was a nice and easy trek. After half an hour my idea about the road changed completely though. As I started my ascend I was shocked to find out that the trail ahead of me was missing in some places because of landslides. However, the good sign was that the residents repaired it and It was not too hard for me to find out the trail which will eventually lead me to the waterfall.

For all of you who are thinking that why should you complete this trek just to see that waterfall, I can assure you that there is much more to it.

The view of the surrounding mountains that you will get is something truly worth remembering. If you can start your trek early in the morning, you can watch the sunrise just behind the back of the mountains and view as the first ray slowly lighten your little path ahead of your. If you are lucky, you can watch birds fly above you while the sounds of the flowing creek is all you can hear if you remove your headphones from your ear.


So there you go me alone walking to reach the top and getting to watch the sun come out from behind the snow-covered mountain Ah! What a sight. Although like I mentioned above the temperature dropped to below 0 degree Celsius when I initially started my journey but as soon as the Sun came out and I started walking I had to remove my first warm layer of cloth because it was getting warmer under the two layer of clothing.

Vasudhara Waterfall
As you will reach or ascend towards the top and near the waterfall, you will realize that you have entered an entirely new place altogether. Covered by substantial snowcapped mountains on all the four sides and bright blue sky just above your head this is definitely the favorite zone for the real travelers.

As I made my way to the top, I could watch the waterfall right before my eyes. You can also view some mountain peaks as well. There is a small resting place in the form of Vasudhara Ashram which is a little shelter with a roof. Unfortunately, it was closed when I reached the spot maybe the sadhu decided to come down and not freeze to death sitting there because it was already middle of November.

The visible mountain right before your eyes is Chaukhamba, Nilkantha, and Balakun which is a treat for the travelers apart from the waterfall like I aloready mentioned above. According to the information available the log height of this waterfall is 400 ft and it from Mountain cliff which is about 145 m in height.

Before coming to this place, I have read somewhere that taking a shower under the waterfall is refreshing. However, I decided to give it a pass as it was almost late November and the water was cold so was the climate. As soon as I reached there before even giving a second though believed my windcheater was back on once again. The gust of cold air was flowing in from every side and hitting you hard. 

Although it took me around 4 hours to reach the destination, but that was because I took my own time clicking pictures while going up and that is also one of the reason I started early. It took another 1 and half hours to come down straight to Mana village. However, I feel it won't take more than 3 hours to reach the top while you should be careful and not hurry while coming down from the steep hills.

If you want to watch the beauty of raw nature and spend some happy time alone perhaps you should not miss visiting this place if your are in Badrinath.   


Things to carry during the trek: As there is no resting place neither any refreshment shop on the way to Vasudhara after Mana so I would suggest you to take your water bottle and some small food items before the trek. Carry a windcheater or a jacket with you as well.

A LITTLE HISTORY OF MANA VILLAGE

The village has received its name from Manas Putra who is son of Lord Brahma. Mythology says that when Pandavas reached Mana for their further journey towards Swarg Rohini. only Yudhistara was able to complete the entire journey alone with his worldly body while other failed.

HOW TO REACH VASUDHARA WATERFALL 

You can take a shared vehicle or hire your own and reach Badrinath first. 

Find a shelter there for the night and visit the temple of Badrinath and offer blessings the same day. The next day you can start early and reach Mana village which is about 4.4 Km, and the trek to Vasudhara from there is about 6 more km.






Best Time To Visit Vasudhara Waterfall & Mana

The best time to visit the place is in between June to September. Please also note that the temple as well as the trek route closes towards the end of November.
SOME OTHER IMPORTANT PLACES TO VISIT IN MANA VILLAGE

Bheempul:- As soon as you will cross the village towards Vasudhara waterfall you will be crossing over a bridge which according to Mythology books was built by Bheem for Sita so she could cross it easily.

Origin of river Saraswati: You can watch the river originate from this place and flows all the way to Brahm kund where it vanishes only to re-emerge again at Prayag in Allahabad at the confluence of river Saraswati  Ganga and Yamuna.

Other nearby Places you can visit: You can also visit Ganesh Gufa, Vyas Gufa in Mana.


GALLERY:






Comments